History

The Westlake Baptist Church was founded in 1980 as the Westside Baptist Temple. The name Westside Baptist Temple was changed to Rocky River Baptist Church in 1993 to identify with our building location. Our church changed its name again in 2007 to the Westlake Baptist Church for the purpose of identifying with the city in which we intend to build. Our first service was held in a home. We met in homes until we secured a place to meet which was located on Lorain Road, in North Olmsted, Ohio. We were there for approximately two and a half years. In 1983, we purchased a church in Rocky River, Ohio, and considered this a blessing from the Lord. Our church has seen many souls saved; and our members continue to grow spiritually. After several failed attempts to expand in Rocky River, Pastor Paul Males Sr., led the church to purchase property at 1097 Bradley Road, in Westlake Ohio.

The church was started for the reasons stated in our Articles of Incorporation:

  • For the purpose of establishing and maintaining a place to worship Almighty God, our Heavenly Father.
  • To provide for Christian fellowship for those of like faith.
  • To provide a place to honor and worship the Lord Jesus Christ according to the word of God.
  • To assume our share of the responsibility and the privilege of propagating the Gospel of Jesus Christ our Lord.